Urban Initiatives wrote -
ABOUT THIS FUNDRAISING EFFORT
Urban Initiatives’ 1,050 Work to Play participants travel to play soccer with teams in communities throughout Chicago, crossing gang, cultural and racial boundaries to come together through a common love of soccer. The kids work hard in the classroom all week in order to take buses to other schools to participate in games that foster teamwork, soccer skills, and social inclusion. This travel is a critical component of the program and I am fundraising to sponsor Stevenson Elementary’s transportation for the 2016-2017 school year. Every donation counts! Here are some giving levels for you to consider:
- Cost per child per game: $10
- Cost per child per year: $60
- Cost per team per game: $200
- Cost per school per year: $2,000 (this is my ultimate goal!)
- Joined Urban Initiatives’ Work to Play program in the fall of 2008.
- Located in the Logan Square neighborhood in Chicago and has 773 students.
- 76.5% of the school population is hispanic. 44.6% come from low-income households.
- Coach Abreu runs a tight ship with this high-energy team. At these practices, you'll see a menagerie of sweet dance moves and if you're lucky, you'll catch player Damarion's beautiful singing voice.
- Something extra special at Goethe is the number of siblings on our team! We have about 8 pairs of siblings on Team Goethe including all 3 Hoyos brothers that make practice extra fun.
ABOUT URBAN INITIATIVES
Urban Initiatives’ mission is to empower Chicago’s underserved children to adopt healthy lifestyles, improve their academic performance, and build strong character through sports-based youth development programs. Their Work to Play program uses a child’s natural love of sports, namely soccer, to provide whole child youth development opportunities in four focus areas: physical fitness, health education, academic performance, and character development. This program focuses on K through 4th grade students in 35 Chicago Public Schools. Boys and girls are invited to join this free, fun-based soccer program regardless of skill level provided they maintain a certain standard of behavioral and academic performance in the classroom.