ABOUT THIS FUNDRAISING EFFORT
Urban Initiatives’ 1,050 Work to Play participants travel to play soccer with teams in communities throughout Chicago, crossing gang, cultural and racial boundaries to come together through a common love of soccer. The kids work hard in the classroom all week in order to take buses to other schools to participate in games that foster teamwork, soccer skills, and social inclusion. This travel is a critical component of the program and I am fundraising to sponsor Tarkington Elementary’s transportation for the 2016-2017 school year. Every donation counts! Here are some giving levels for you to consider:
- Cost per child per game: $10
- Cost per child per year: $60
- Cost per team per game: $200
- Cost per school per year: $2,000 (this is my ultimate goal!)
- Joined Urban Initiatives’ Work to Play program in the spring of 2011.
- Located in the Marquette Park neighborhood in Chicago and has 1,025 students.
- 72% of the school population is hispanic and 20% is African American. 94% come from low-income households.
- Tarkington has an amazing group of leaders. During many of their practices, team captains take the time to help younger players not only with their soccer skills, but homework as well!
- Every morning Coach Licea wakes up Team Tarkington with a warm up that includes at least 10 burpees!
ABOUT URBAN INITIATIVES
Urban Initiatives’ mission is to empower Chicago’s underserved children to adopt healthy lifestyles, improve their academic performance, and build strong character through sports-based youth development programs. Their Work to Play program uses a child’s natural love of sports, namely soccer, to provide whole child youth development opportunities in four focus areas: physical fitness, health education, academic performance, and character development. This program focuses on K through 4th grade students in 35 Chicago Public Schools. Boys and girls are invited to join this free, fun-based soccer program regardless of skill level provided they maintain a certain standard of behavioral and academic performance in the classroom.