BENEFITING: CHRISTIAN ACTIVITY CENTER
EVENT DATE: Dec 31, 2015
We are raising money for Phase 1 of the Place to Grow park. CAC has already acquired nearly 22 acres of property (4 city blocks, adjacent to CAC, from Summit to MLK, 7th to 11th Street) to transform derelict properties into healing and bonding spaces for families. The property will have:
• Edible gardens, walking and biking paths, a splash pad and tot lot, prayer labyrinths, and outdoor chapel, city stage, baseball and soccer field
• Lighting and security to ensure safety in the park
• Eventual access to the old library (to be refurbished) to be a center for performing arts.
The project will be be accomplished in three phases
Phase I: Establish the Green Zone (which has already started) Establish the Green and includes:
• Completion of purchasing 79 lots from 42 owners;
• Developing a master architectural plan and civil engineering strategy
• Beginning initial clean up, demolition, debris removal, removal of abandoned utilities and power lines, rezoning , grading, grass seeding/shrub planting.
• The cost for phase one is $251,500.
Phase II: Usage & Initial Foundation Development. Immediately after grading:
• baseball infields will be shaped,
• soccer field boundaries will be outlined,
• walking/running path will be poured
• By early summer 2015
• fields are be ready for bonding, healing and play.
In the acreage designated for community gardens,
• raised beds structures will be built,
• composted over winter months in preparation for spring planting.
• Power lines will be buried,
• street pavement removed,
• a restroom/maintenance building erected
Phase III: Develop Temporary Elements of Phases I & II into Permanent Structures
• Specialized features of the park will include:
• an outdoor chapel,
• city stage,
• seating and dugouts for the baseball complex,
• stands for soccer fields,
• paved walking trail,
• full landscaping,
• granite sitting walls,
• pavilions, and
• children's permanent art pieces.