Organized by: Mark Jones
On Sunday, May 24th, Lee noticed that Caleb's neck was swollen on the left side under his ear. This was definitely abnormal and like any parents, we were quite concerned. After speaking to the nurse at our pediatrician's office and feeling better about the fact that this was Caleb's natural way of fighting an infection, we waited a few days to see if the swelling would go down. The swelling did not go down on its own so Lee took Caleb to the doctors. No antibiotic was given as they suggested we wait a few more days. Although, it's just so hard to see something like this on such a small person..... A few days went by and nothing had changed. I took Caleb to the doctor on Saturday, May 30th. Caleb was prescribed an antibiotic in attempts for the mass to reduce in size. Caleb's PCP was the doctor on call Sunday, May 31st and Dr. Knight suggested we come back on Sunday for a follow up with Dr. Trundle. While at home playing with my sweet little Caleb, I noticed a second mass on the roof of his mouth. It was quite strange and about the side of a grape. Sunday, exactly one week from when Lee spotted the enlarged lymph node/nodes, we met with Dr. Trundle. He referred us to an ENT, Dr. Landes, where we went in for an appointment on June 2nd. Here we discussed a plan of action. We switched the antibiotic and Dr. Landes wanted to make sure they could take effect, so we scheduled to come back for a follow up. On June 8th we made the decision to have biopsies taken of both masses of tissue. The original biopsy was scheduled for Monday, June 15th. But, as a mama, I knew something wasn't right. Caleb wasn't eating well, was moody, and just didn't look himself. I called the ENT on Tuesday, June 9th and received a call back from Dr. Landes about my concerns. We decided it would be best to move the surgery up. Caleb's surgery took place on Wednesday, June 10th. The hardest part about this whole process is the no eating and no drinking policy. If I could put myself in Caleb's place, I would in a heartbeat. The poor little guy wasn't able to eat or drink for hours! Because Caleb's surgery wasn't on the regular schedule it was considered an add on. We reported at 2:30pm, Caleb was taken back at 6:30pm, and after all was said and done we left for home at 10:30pm. I was so appreciative of Dr. Landes. He went out of his way to schedule this surgery at a different time all based on a mother's concern for her child. It was very comforting to me that he showed this much compassion. Not only that, it wasn't a normal surgery day for him. He did this just for our Caleb. I knew then, in my heart, that this might be a long road ahead, but that God was with us. God knows everything before we do and that we were going to need to trust in Him. Now began the waiting game......waiting, waiting, and more waiting. I just don't know how to explain how hard it is to wait. I know God asks us to be patient and to not worry, as that means we are losing faith in HIM. Whether it is one hour, to a day, to a week, it is just plain old hard to do! Well, the waiting for the biopsy results came to an end when I received a phone call that no parent ever wants to receive. Yesterday, on Lee and I's 8th wedding anniversary..... Dr. Landes called us and explained that the pathologists came to a conclusion. The conclusion was that Caleb had a form of leukemia called AML, Acute Meyloid Leukemia. The emotions were just unbelievable and to be honest, I don't think I have ever had a feeling like this before. It was like the worst numbing feeling I had ever had. My brain must have been going in 100 different directions at once. But.....when I stopped, I took a breathe, and remembered that Lee and I have so many wonderful people supporting us from family, friends, co-workers, and even those whom we don't know. Above all else I know that God has us in his hands and He is with us and He will continue to be with us until Caleb has this cancer beat!