I'm running to support a great cause that helping bring technology skills to underserved comunities in the New York Area.
WHO/WHAT IS C/I?
C/I is Code Interactive.
- We are a nonprofit after-school program for underserved and at-risk high school students residing in New York’s five boroughs.
- To sum it up, C/I teaches kids how to code so they can access higher education and build a career in tech.
WHY IS THIS IMPORTANT?
- Only 1 in 10 U.S. high schools offer computer science curriculum, however careers in tech are the fastest growing in our nation.
- Less than 2.4% of college students graduate with a degree in computer science but computer science jobs represent 60% of all STEM careers nationwide.
- In 2012, less than 0.01% of all AP computer science exams were taken by African-American or Hispanic students.
In summary, the tech industry is growing and our students cannot keep up with the demand. We need to help provide access to computer science education to inspire the next generation of tech professionals.