A Comprehensive Approach to After School
A historic step forward was taken when a new model for after school programs was designed in 2000. Four pilot sites were created at area community centers. This model incorporates trained staff, state of the art technology, high expectations and high performance standards designed to gauge student's academic achievement and to also provide participants with a safe place to learn and play when school is out.
Each program contains six components:
- A nutritious snack, which the children receive as soon as they arrive at the site from school;
- Academic assistance, including help with their homework , science projects, literacy tutoring and computer math;
- Enrichment activities such as cooking, field trips, drama and art;
- Prevention programs in anger management, substance abuse, violence and peer mediation;
- Recreation and socialization through basketball, board games, outdoor play and group activities;
- Strong family involvement, including family fun nights, resource referrals, parent/staff conferences and newsletters.
Help us to raise money to support this wonderful organization!