Casey at the Bat in Cuba
Organized by: Casey Fitzsimons
EVENT DATE Nov 10, 2014
On November 10-16, I have the privilege of travelling to Cuba with Christian Family Life Ministries (CFL) where I will be responsible for leading a sports camp with impoverished Cuban children, who are in desperate need of the gospel message. Simultaneously, CFL will be facilitating a marriage conference called “2 Becoming One” to help married couples restore the oneness in their marriages that often gets eroded and perplexed by the enemy who seeks to destroy every good thing God has created.
In Cuba, almost 7 out of 10 marriages end in divorce. The pastors and wives that have attended these conferences in the past have expressed how blessed and refreshed they feel after attending the conference. We all know how important it is to get away with our spouses. They, too, find great encouragement by getting away; yet rarely, if ever, get this type of opportunity.
The truth of the matter is that when we impact marriages, we impact the church. When we impact the church, we im-pact the community. When we impact the community, we impact the provinces. When we impact the provinces, we impact the island nation of Cuba, which is labeled as a restrict¬ed nation to the gospel!
My role on the trip is two-fold…
1. Direct a sports sports clinic for the week for neighboring kids who reside in the area where we will be serving. On past trips there have been as many as 100+ kids that will show up for a sports related clinic.
2. Interaction with indigenous Cuban missionaries who use the games of baseball & soccer as a way to effectively reach young boys and men, and impact their lives with the gospel message that Jesus is the only hope for our salvation. Baseball is the most popular sport on this island and is a fantastic tool to teach life lessons that correlate directly with the gospel message. Planning for future baseball mission trips with Stewards of the Game teams and families will also be strategized.
In Luke 10, Jesus tells his disciples that “the harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few. Therefore, pray earnestly to the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into his harvest.” We are being sent, but we are also called to pray for more laborers to join us in spreading the gospel. Prayerfully consider the following ways you can join us in this ministry:
• Commit to pray. Pray for us now and during our trip. Pray for the pastors, their wives, kids who will attend the marriage conference. Pray for the sports clinics, and the national team.
• Send baseball equipment/supplies (new & gently used gloves, cleats, bats, etc.). We will each take an extra suitcase full of supplies to give away while we are there. Contact me directly for more details.
• Support my travel to and from Cuba financially. The cost of this trip is $3000. Half of this goes to cover the costs of 7 families travel, food & lodging for the marriage conference, and the remaining half covers my travel and lodging expenses while in Cuba.
Thank you for your prayerful consideration and support,