BENEFITING: FAMILY CARE INTERNATIONAL INC
EVENT DATE: Nov 02, 2014
I am running the NYC marathon to support the amazing work of my FCI colleagues in West Africa. FCI’s vision is of a world where no woman suffers preventable pregnancy-related injury or death, where childbirth is safe for mothers and their babies, and where all people are able to enjoy their sexual and reproductive health and rights.
This issue has become particularly personal this past year, as I myself have recently become a new mother. I felt a sickening discomfort knowing that had I been born in rural Mali or Burkina Faso, there would be a 40% chance that I would not have received any pre-natal care whatsoever. Meanwhile, here in New York, I attended no less than 16 visits, not including ultrasounds! Fewer than 10% of poor pregnant women in Mali and Burkina deliver in the presence of a trained health provider. In both countries, access to contraceptives is extremely low, and practices that are detrimental to women’s health like early marriage, female circumcision, and gender based violence are far too common.
Our teams in Burkina Faso and Mali work in extremely challenging contexts and yet are among the most committed that I have ever met. Here are some of the exciting results of their hard work:
In Mali, the team established a referral system for survivors of gender based violence (GBV) in Mopti, and created a safe house for survivors of GBV. Through FCI’s referral system, 363 of the survivors received medical care, 186 received psychosocial support, and 300 families benefitted from socio-economic support, including cash transfers.
In Burkina Faso, our team and its partners, successfully advocated for the inclusion of misoprostol - an affordable, easily administered, heat stable drug for the prevention and treatment of post–partum hemorrhage, the number one cause of maternal death - on the Burkina’s essential medicines list, the first step in making it accessible to communities that need it most.
Your donation would support our efforts to:
- Inform women, youth and communities of family planning options, safe motherhood, prevention of sexually transmitted infections and sexual and reproductive health rights.
- Arrange access to emergency care for women with life-threatening childbirth complications
- Train and support influential village chiefs and religious leaders in promoting family planning, preventing early marriage and supporting access to skilled care in childbirth
- Train grassroots groups to advocate effectively for their communities’ health needs
- Help the government enact stronger, more supportive maternal and reproductive health policies
All donations, and your moral support, are very much appreciated!