Catherine's Study Abroad Trip to Oaxaca, Mexico
Organized by: Catherine Squirewell
Muchas Gracias! (Thank you!)
March 28, 2016
Hello family and friends!
As most of your already know, I am a sophomore studying Biology at Howard University and I have recently declared my minors as Chemistry and Spanish. I currently have a 3.81 GPA and I made the Dean's List for the past three semesters. As an aspiring pediatric oncologist, I believe it is of the utmost importance to be able to communicate with patients from a variety of backgrounds. The opportunity I am about to describe to you will help me do just that.
I will be going on a study abroad trip to Mexico (a Howard University sponsored program) this May to further my studies in the Spanish language and culture. I will be taking a Reading/Writing Workshop class as well as an Oral Expressions II class at Universidad del Mar in Oaxaca, a city in southern Mexico. In addition to taking academic classes, I will be participating in Latin cooking classes, going on excursions to famous landmarks in the area, and participating in "intercambios," in which I will get to meet local college students and practice my Spanish with them while learning about the culture from primary sources. I will be living with a host family for the duration of my stay.
Here's where I need your help. I am looking for financial sponsors. The cost of the program is $3,850, which does not include travel there and back, which amounts to over $1000. I am asking that those who feel lead donate to support me in this endeavor. I have detailed to cost breakdown below: (In U.S. Dollars)
• Housing and Accommodations $800
• Food (Breakfast and Lunch) $750
• Airport Transfer (Arrival and Departure on scheduled dates/times) $100
• Program-Sponsored Excursions $600 (Including transportation, guides, travel insurance, entrance fees, some meals, and other services)
• University registration, 6 credit hours $1600 (including cooking course materials, beverage making course materials, Latin dance classes)
Total Program Fee $3850
Additional Student Expenses
• Round-Trip Airfare $600-$900
• Additional Food and Misc. expenses $450
My goal is to collect all of the donations by April 3rd, 2016. I appreciate any and all of your support and please don't hesitate to contact me with your questions at my email address: firstname.lastname@example.org