Celebrate Petworth: Launch Our 1st Festival of Community!
Organized by: Lucan Pipkin
EVENT DATE May 10, 2014
What is Celebrate Petworth?
A group of community organizers have come together in the Petworth neighborhood of Washington, D.C. to plan and execute a festival celebration in the heart of the neighborhood. Celebrate Petworth is planned for Saturday, May 10, 2014 12:00-6:00 PM on the 800 block of Upshur Street NW.
The Celebrate Petworth festival will celebrate creativity, diversity, culture, people, and quality of life: the core components of what make Petworth a vibrant and wonderful place to live. The festival will bring residents of Petworth together, not just for the day of the event, but through the creation of new opportunities for collaboration, partnership and engagement amongst residents, businesses, and non-profit organizations.
Celebrate Petworth will be anchored around 4 main themes: Art, Music, Food and Healthy Living, and Kids/Family. This will be achieved through a design and aesthetic featuring gathering areas and interactive demonstrations and performance spaces within each theme. The areas will be designed to bring people together in fellowship, rather than as spectators and shoppers.
- The Music Zone anchoring one end of Upshur Street will serve as the main performance stage for local bands and musicians.
- The Food and Healthy Living Zone will showcase farmer’s market produce, urban garden groups, plants for sale, gardening supplies, chef demos, wellness groups, and other organizations dedicated to healthy living.
- The Arts Zone will feature local arts vendors, clothing boutiques, live muralists, performance artists, and other creative organizations displaying their products or services.
- The Kids Zone will be a highlight to include crafts, a puppet theater, a large wall for a kids mural, and a story time area for engaging programming throughout the day.
- There will be an area for local businesses and non-profit organizations to have a presence via display of marketing materials as well as a representative to answer questions or engage the attendees.
What We Need From You
To pull off an event like this, it costs approximately $10,000 to cover DCRA and DDOT permitting fees, required security and insurance, staging and equipment, and to support the musicians and performers. We are asking the community to help us raise $2,500, while we attempt to secure the majority through corporate sponsorships.
We envision this inaugural festival being the first of many to come. Your support will help make this kickoff a success and secure it as an annual celebration of our community.
Who Is Involved and Supporting Celebrate Petworth
The event planning group is led by Tom Pipkin (Founder and Producer Petworth Jazz Project, Founding Board Member Petworth Community Market), Lucan Pipkin (Founding Board Member Petworth Community Market), Rob Mandle (Founding Board Member Petworth Community Market, Former ANC4C Commissioner), and Julie Wineinger (Willow Boutique, Petworth Business Association). Participants from the Petworth Community Market, The Friends of the Petworth Park, The Petworth Co-Op, Friends of the Petworth Library, as well as business owners on Upshur Street are also engaged in planning support.
Public notification and call for volunteers was announced at the December 2013 ANC4C meeting and additional residents and businesses have been engaged to support design and execution of the event. A call for Petworth-based vendors and presenters/performers has been distributed to the community.
Celebrate Petworth has received an ANC4C Letter of Support and permitting has been approved by the Mayor’s Special Event Task Force.
Other Ways You Can Help
Here are some other ways you can help make Celebrate Petworth a success:
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter, and help spread the word.
- Share this fundraising campaign with others.
- Volunteer to help with the event. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Come to the festival on May 10th!
Where You Can Find More Information
More information can be found by visiting the website at www.celebratepetworth.org.
If you have questions or interest in getting more involved, email us at email@example.com.