BENEFITING: Center Against Domestic Violence
ORGANIZER: Center Against Domestic Violence
EVENT DATE: Nov 04, 2012
My story... that is one big statement. I want to share why this run means everything to me. I knew for many years that I wanted to run for a cause. But I wanted it to come from deep within. I wanted to stand up for many women/men who can't stand up for themselves because they are scared or embarrashed. Coming from a very distrubed and violent relationship about 6 years ago, I came into my own finally and was brave enough to get out before it was too late. I had to learn to start over at the age of 25. To love & respect myself and feel worthy again. Domestic violence is a very hard thing to overcome and most of all, it's hard to get out of. If I can change one person's life and give them the courage to get out and get help before it's too late, I will be so happy and blessed. I look back and wonder who I was then and why I allowed it to happen for almost 8 years of my late teens and early 20's.. it's heartbreaking to me still.
· Every 9 seconds in the US a woman is assaulted or beaten.
· Around the world, at least one in every three women has been beaten, coerced into sex or otherwise abused during her lifetime. Most often, the abuser is a member of her own family.
· Domestic violence is the leading cause of injury to women—more than car accidents, muggings, and rapes combined.
· Studies suggest that up to 10 million children witness some form of domestic violence annually.
· Nearly 1 in 5 teenage girls who have been in a relationship said a boyfriend threatened violence or self-harm if presented with a breakup.
· Everyday in the US, more than three women are murdered by their husbands or boyfriends.
*******************Most don't make it out alive.
I am coming to you friends and asking you to help me and make a donation to this fundraiser against Domestic violence. You can help change someone's life and help them get the help they need to live a life they deserve like you and me.