BENEFITING: CHAMPIONS IN ACTION
EVENT DATE: May 31, 2013
Champions in Action connects disadvantaged youth to life-changing mentors through soccer.
Many Guatemalan teens face extreme pressure to join gangs, which leads them to lives of crime and violence. But every day through Champions' mentoring programs, we are seeing hundreds of youth set on a better path with a brighter future.
Champions uses soccer as a tool to bring youth and mentors together. The game is a deep-seated passion in Central America that crosses boundaries of race, gender, socio-economic status, and language.
This summer, Champions will hold two soccer camps in Guatemala where 200 at-risk youth will be connected to mentors. We are looking to raise $10,000 this spring to sponsor the attendance of 50 teens. And here's the cool thing — each donor who gives $25 or more has a chance to win a free trip to Guatemala!
To make it fun, we have enlisted the help of awesome team leaders who are willing to do some pretty crazy stuff to help us hit our goal of $10,000. We have five teams with the goal of raising $2,000 each — enough to sponsor an entire team of 10 youth and two mentors to attend one of our summer camps and participate in Champions programs throughout the year.
Here are our team leaders and what they'll do if they raise at least $2,000 before May 31:
- Jake will kayak across Lake Erie.
- Jeremy will run a marathon.
- Chris will run a 5k... in a full suit and tie.
- Matt will swim 3 miles across Lake Atitlán in Guatemala.
- Jon will embark on a "Big Day" — a grueling sunrise to sunset excursion on the prowl for fowl — to find as many birds as possible.
So pick a team to join below, donate today, and tell your friends. But pick your teams wisely, because here's the catch: only donors to the winning team below will have a chance to win. So make sure the team you support raises the most money so you can win the trip!
Find out more about what we do on our website.
Here is the fine print about the free trip:
- Most importantly, don't donate anonymously if you want a chance to win. We will need to know a way to contact you.
- Each donation of $25 or more to the winning "team" on Crowdrise (the one that raises the most money) enters you into a drawing to win the free trip to Guatemala.
- The trip can either be June 9-14 or July 21-26 during one of our camps.
- Champions in Action will cover the airfare, room, and board for the trip. Additional costs will need to be covered by the participant.