Officiall signed up!
March 14, 2016
BENEFITING: CHICAGO PARKS FOUNDATION
EVENT DATE: Oct 09, 2016
We absolutely love living in a condo in the South Loop neighborhood of Chicago. However the biggest drawback is that, excluding our 5 x 10 balcony, we have no space of our own to get outside as those with yards can do.
That is why I have made the decision to pay it forward by fundraising for the Chicago Parks Foundation thru signing up for my very first marathon, The Chicago Marathon, on October 9, 2016. I hope you enjoy these pockets within the City as much as my family and I do ... please help keep these dreams alive for future generations to come. We try to get out and take advantage of not only all of the things listed below, but many more ... and I hope you do too!
1. Beaches: Margaret T. Burroughs Beach and Park, North Avenue (Air & Water show), Oak Street, 12th Street, Montrose beach … the list goes on and on, but we are looking forward to this summer.
2. Music: Petrillo and Pritzker Pavilions hosting many free (concerts in the park, Blues & Jazz fests) as well as Lollapalooza.
3. Grant Park ... beyond music events noted above, you have Buckingham Fountain, several gardens and public art exhibits, Summer Dance, Movies at the Park etc.
4. Millennium Park: the Bean, Xmas tree, gardens, art etc.
5. Conservatories: beautiful spaces at Garfield and Lincoln Parks.
6. Playgrounds: not only taking advantage of several in our neighborhood (Cotton Tail, Coliseum, Ping Tom Memorial just to name a few), but also visiting Mary Bartelme Park in the West Loop, Maggie Daley or others previously mentioned.
7. Exercise ... last, but not least family walks and bike rides as well as training for several runs throughout Chicago along the lake front path.
As you can see, there are many great things going on in and around the Parks and Lakefront trail. We enjoy doing these as a family, and would love to have a chance to keep doing that for years to come. The unfortunate thing is, upkeep, repairs and future upgrades can be very expensive for this many locations and the amount of space of all these facilities around the city. I want a chance to pay it forward for those that are here after us.
Why did I choose to run for the Chicago Parks Foundation? Because if it wasn’t for Chicago’s 580 parks and the 18 miles of Lakefront Trail, where would my family and I be able to enjoy everything above or the opportunity to explore and discover the other great things our city has to offer thru these amazing places. Please help me and others keep that alive for the current and future generations of residents and visitors of Chicago!