Chicago to Ferguson
Organized by: Aislinn Pulley
Aislinn Pulley via Crowdrise
August 26, 2014
BLACK LIVES MATTER
On August 30th, the “Black Life Matters Ride,” an initiative of #BlackLivesMatter, will bring activists and professionals of color from across the country to Ferguson, Missouri, as part of a national call to end state sanctioned violence against Black people.
We are a coalition of volunteer medics, community organizers, cultural workers, artists, media specialists, counselors, and legal professionals (from the Chicagoland area) and we will provide on-the-ground support to the Ferguson community.
Aug 28th and 29th: Travel days
Aug 30th and 31st: Solidarity march and local community engagement efforts coordinated with local community members
Aug 31st: Establish next steps and key action items in the #BlackLivesMatter movement. Riders return to their communities ready to organize within their local networks.
YOUR CONTRIBUTION WILL BE USED TO HELP:
1. Subsidize travel (i.e. gas and tolls; bus and/or van rentals), housing, and/or for riders in need of financial assistance;
2. Purchase necessary materials and supplies;
3. Support any emergency costs accrued by riders, if nessary (i.e. legal fees and other safety matters);
4. Support the family of Mike Brown. A percentage of the funds raised will be provided to the family; and
5. Support The Organization for Black Struggle, a local nonprofit commited to ending police brutality in St. Louis.
Local sustainability is of the upmost importance. When the cameras are gone, a community remains.
WHY WE RIDE VIDEO:
Black Life Matters Ride PSA: Call for Riders
Click Here for Our Facebook page
THIS NATIONAL INITIATIVE IS ENDORSED BY THE FOLLOWING ORGANIZATIONS:
Rebel Diaz - South Bronx, NY & Chicago, IL
Chicago Anti-Eviction Campaign. Chicago, IL
Insight Arts. Chicago, IL
AFSCME 3090. Los Angeles, CA
American Civil Liberties Union of Southern California. Los Angeles, CA
Black Alliance for Just Immigration
Black Community Clergy and Labor Alliance. Los Angeles, CA
Black Mama Caucus. Atlanta, GA
Black Worker Center. Los Angeles, CA
Community Coalition. Los Angeles, Ca
Esperanza Community Housing Corporation. Los Angeles, CA
National Day Laborer's Organizing Network
Strategic Concepts in Organizing and Policy Education. Los Angeles, Ca
The Center for Media Justice/Media Action Grassroots Network
The Feminist Wire
United Long Term Care Workers