I am here to help children who have experience trauma in their lives either living in abusive or dangerous or neglectful relationships.
The cause focus is on prevention and intervention. Here are the facts:
Almost five children die everyday as the result of Child Abuse. More than 3 out of 4 are under age of 4.
It is estimated that 60-85 % of child fatalities due to maltreatment are not recorded as such on the death certificate.
90 % of child abuse victims know the perpetrator in someway and 68 % are abused by family members
31% of the women in prison were abused as children.
Child Abuse occurs at every socio- economic level, across ethnic and cultural lines, with in all religions and at all levels of education.
Over 60 % of people in drug rehabilitation centers report being abused as a child.
What is scary is about 30 % of abused of neglected children will later abuse their own Children and about 80 % of 21 year old's that were abused as children meet the criteria for at least 1 psychological disorder.
The Estimated cost resulting from child abuse and neglect in 2007 was 104 Billion Dollars.
More facts about children and addiction:
- Alcoholism is a major health problem and ranks with cancer and heart disease as a threat to health. The alarming rates at which drug addiction is on the rise make it a massive threat in its own right.
- Of all fatal accidents on roads, more than 50% involve alcohol
- Children of addicts and alcoholics are four times more likely to become addicts and alcoholics themselves than children of non-addicts
- Alcohol is the most commonly used and widely abused psychoactive drug in the world
- One in ten people who drink become alcoholics. It may only take using a drug like heroin once or twice to become addicted
- Rates of alcohol and drug addiction are highest among adults aged 18-29
- Use of alcohol and drugs is one of the leading causes of death and injury among teenagers and young adults
- Violent behaviour attributed to alcohol use accounts for roughly 49% of murders, 52% of rapes, 21% of suicides and 60% of child abuse
- Around 90% of property related crimes, especially theft, and 90% of street muggings are made by drug addicts who need money to support their addiction