Monday, August 15 is the last day to donate
August 14, 2016
BENEFITING: MANOS UNIDAS INTERNATIONAL INC
EVENT DATE: Jun 21, 2016
Manos Unidas has announced a fundraising campaign to expand Phawarispa, its pioneering vocational training program in Cusco, Peru
The Goal: $20,000 by August 15
The Children of Peru Foundation will match funds up to $10,000
What the funds will be used for: To Expand Student Run Cafe
Phawarispa (est. 2014) is the Manos Unidas program that links students in the educational setting to work experience and employment. The program consists of three classes for students: Teen Transition, Vocational Training and Life skills
Our Recent achievements
- Received $12,000 grant from GO Campaign to support Phawarispa Vocational Training Program (June, 2016)
- Three Phawarispa teens began their first year included into a regular education high school
- First partnership established with a Cusco hotel for student practicum placement. Two Phawarispa youth have begun practicum placement.
- Cafe Daria student run cafe, opens to the public
- Life Skills teachers participating in two-year intensive Autism Education and Applied Behavior analysis diploma
HOW WE WILL USE OUR FUNDS
- Expand kitchen with quality appliances, dishes and new student uniforms
- Build greenhouse in our Garden to source food for student and tourist lunches
- Formalize partnerships with more hotels and cafes to place students for internships & training
- Formalize partnerships with two travel agencies to bring more tourists as guests to cafe
- Increase staff salaries; Our incredible teachers deserve a competitive wage
- Hire a full time program director; the bridge between our school and the community
ABOUT MANOS UNIDAS
Manos Unidas is a legally registered Peruvian non-profit organization founded in 2008 serving 75 special needs children regardless of their ability to pay.
Today Manos Unidas Peru consists of three programs:
- “Camino Nuevo” the only private/non-profit special education school in the region of Cusco (est. 2009)
- The Inclusion Project for children in traditional classrooms (est. 2011)
- “Phawarispa” vocational training program (est. 2014).
Learn More at: www.manosunidasperu.org
WHY IS THIS PROGRAM IMPORTANT?
- In the region of Cusco, Peru an estimated 4% of children with special needs are receiving an education (population: 1,100,000 people)
- Phawarispa is currently the ONLY vocational training program preparing special needs youth for employment in the community
- Children and Youth with special needs continue to be educated in public, segregated schools, isolated from the community with no transition or work programs to prepare them for employment
MANOS UNIDAS IS GIVING HOPE TO YOUTH AND THEIR FAMILIES FOR A FUTURE THEY NEVER IMAGINED - YOUR DONATION DURING THIS TIME IS VITAL - THANK YOU!