BENEFITING: MANOS UNIDAS INTERNATIONAL INC
ORGANIZER: MANOS UNIDAS INTERNATIONAL INC
EVENT DATE: Apr 02, 2015
UW PT Students Experience Peru,
Last September Manos Unidas welcomed 4 amazing physical therapy students from the University of Washington, Seattle, WA, for a 2 week cultural-volunteer experience. See photo of them in Machu Picchu. This enthusiastic group of gals were accompanied by a licensed PT -UW alumni - and spent 2 weeks immersed in an educational setting. They worked directly with Amilcar, Manos Unidas's physical therapist, visited students homes, spent a day in the Quechya speaking high communities, volunteered at an orphanage for disabled children, helped feed students, play with them and experience children with disabilities in an urban Andean setting - all in Spanish!
After full mornings at Manos Unidas, the gals had an opportunity to explore the great city of Cusco and its surrounding areas.
The students are part of a University of Washington chapter called GROW within the Department of Rehabilitative Medicine, this was their first trip abroad.
To read about this experience through their eyes, please visit their BLOG: http://physicaltherapyinperu.blogspot.com
GROW would like to encourage you to support Phawarispa- the FIRST and ONLY vocational training program implemented by Manos Unidas for young adults with Autism and other intellecutal disabilities- in the region of Cusco.
They have 30 days to raise $15,000! The Children of Peru Foundation has offered to match up to $15,000 of the funds we raise.
This year they have 20 students in attendance and 9 staff members working to prepare students in the three established work modules: HOUSEKEEPING, RESTAURANTS and HORTICULTURE.
Their goals for 2015:
- Implement our new vocational curriculum
- Give students an opportunity to experiement with each module and find talents and abilities within our students for work preparation
- Form agreements with local business for capacity building, awareness training and student integration
- Form agreements with local restaurants for purchasing organic produce from our garden
- Open Cafe Daria to the public every other friday to give students an opportunity to practice their skills (cooking, waiting, taking orders, handling money, etc)
- Invite public entities to particpate in our objectives (regional government, local municipalities, ministery of education)
- Carry out workshops for families for life skills preparation
Phawarispa budget for 2015: $52,000. Matching campaign + grant will fund more than half of this years budget. Student tuition will cover the remaining costs. Perks for YOUR donation:
$100: Receive a personalized video thank you
$250: Receive a handmade thank you card from a PH student
$500: A Garden space in your name
$1,000: Your name on a plaque on our honorary donor wall
$1,500: Sponsor a FULL 1 Year scholarship for a Phawarispa student and receive a full profile of the student and 3 updates per year (3 available)