CYCLE Kids could not be more thrilled to have been invited by John Hancock to host a team for the 2012 Boston Marathon!
Support CYCLE Kids and Help Reduce Childhood Obesity
Did you know?
- Today's children have a life expectancy of 3 to 5 years LESS than their parents.
- Obesity in the US is predicted to reach 50% by 2030 unless drastic changes are made today.
- An estimated 2.6 million people die each year as a result of being overweight or obese; excess weight will soon rival tobacco as the world’s leading cause of preventable premature deaths.
CYCLE Kids is working to change these statistics. We provide communities with an innovative and fun biking curriculum that brings new excitement to physical education, nutrition, and literacy classes. Our program gets children excited about being outside and being active.
Our programs have the following results:
- 25% of participants learn to ride a bike
- 48% report personal growth: self-confidence and sense of well-being
- 48% report social growth: positive interactions with family and friends
- 52% report a desire to be physically active and wanting to ride bikes
- 71% report gain in nutritional intelligence regarding proper portion sizes and balancing the type of food on their plate
Your fundraising efforts for CYCLE Kids will help us:
- Reduce childhood obesity
- Create an environment that fosters empowerment
- Increase the number of kids riding to school
- Increase the number of families riding bikes together
- Build relationships between community and children, i.e. police officers and children
- Make the CYCLE Kids logo synonymous with preventing childhood obesity
- Make the CYCLE Kids program available to any school or community that wants it
ABOUT CYCLE Kids
Founded in 2004 out of concern for the growing epidemic of obesity and inactivity among children, the CYCLE Kids mission is to promote healthy lifestyle choices by introducing kids to the joys of bicycling and educating them about bike safety and nutrition. We empower children to develop positive, safe, and active lifelong habits.
CYCLE Kids gives schools and community organizations the curriculum, equipment, training and support they need to successfully teach the CYCLE Kids program to students in the 4th and 5th grades. By empowering these organizations to establish an ongoing, healthy intervention program, we are able to reach many more children than by teaching directly. Our innovative program combines classroom experience with physical activity to show children that living an active lifestyle can be exciting and fun.