CLEAN WATER FOR NEPAL - Gravity Water 2016
Team Member: anders cochran
Gravity Water wrote -
In November of 2016, Gravity Water will be launching its first major clean water initiative in Nepal, providing over 1,100 children with long-term access to safe, localized drinking water at public schools.
Who We Are
Gravity Water is a non-profit organization that provides communities in developing countries with safe access to localized drinking water, without dependency on foreign technology, electricity, or pumping. Gravity Water combines rainwater harvesting, storage, and filtration to provide a brand-new, safe, and sustainable source of drinking water to communities in need.
What We Do – The Gravity Water Tank System
The Gravity Water Tank System is a brand new technology that combines rainwater harvesting, storage, and filtration in one system, providing areas such as schools, orphanages, and community centers with an on-site source of safe drinking water, year round.
- Over 85% of people who lack access to drinking water live in the Tropics and Sub-Tropics, where rain is abundant for significant portions of the year.
- Using rainwater eliminates the need for electricity and pumping, since the water source can be captured and stored before it reaches the Earth’s surface.
- Rainwater is significantly cleaner and safer than other water sources, such as surface water and wells. Rainwater is considered by the World Health Organization as an improved drinking water source.
- Rainwater provides a long-term sustainable source of water in response to a changing climate. It is estimated that Climate Change will increase precipitation in the tropics and sub-tropics, increasing pollution and run-off into surface water and ground water, yet providing an increased potential for rainwater storage.
- Rainwater harvesting provides an on-site source of water, reducing the need for pumping, piping, and diverting water from other areas.
Gravity Water’s Impact
Gravity Water is currently focusing it’s efforts in building it’s Tank Systems in public schools in Nepal; this provides clean drinking water to children, who are at most risk for water illness, within the community, regardless of their social or economic background. Each Gravity Water Tank System provides between 110 – 500 liters of safe drinking water per day, allowing a minimum of 110 children access to safe drinking water every day for the foreseeable future. Other benefits and services Gravity Water provides include:
- Over $1,000 savings for Public Schools every year. For the schools that have the ability to buy drinking water for their students, the Gravity Water Tank Systems provide a free alternative, saving the schools an estimated $1,000 per year, in turn transforming the student's educational experience and quality.
- Education and Outreach. On top of building the Tank Systems, Gravity Water provides lesson plans for students that educate them on the water cycle, pollution, and the importance of drinking safe water. In addition, Gravity Water provides students with take-home informational pamphlets, which have information on the multiple ways to provide clean drinking water at home.
- Providing Local Jobs. Instead of utilizing western volunteers, Gravity Water holds pride in hiring local community members to help with the building and installation of the Gravity Water Tank Systems, which in turn supports their local economy.
- Creating Leaders. In each country Gravity Water operates, selected local community members are given management positions within the organization, taking over operations within their Country overtime. Having each initiative locally lead, managed, and operated provides sustainability for the initiative’s success throughout the future.
Where the Money is Going
The $12,000 USD will supplement the funding Gravity Water has already secured to help cover the costs of a total of 10 Gravity Water Tank Systems and work in Nepal. Every member of Gravity Water, including the top management positions, is volunteering their time to help communities in need. None of the money raised in this campaign goes towards salaries, only to local material and labor costs.
Providing clean water to people in need takes a community. Thank you for your dedication to supporting those less fortunate; we couldn’t do it without you.
We, and the Communities in Nepal, are very grateful for your support.
~THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT~
For More Information: