EVENT DATE: May 05, 2013
COASTAL GERMAN SHEPHERD RESCUE OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA A PUBLIC wrote -
We are raising money for Coastal German Shepherd Rescue's "Saving Gideon Fund" that provides critical medical care to special needs dogs.
- Last year 54,129 animals entered the LA City Shelters alone in 2012 (that is not including LA County, Orange County, Ventura County, San Bernadino County and Kern County shelters). 18,994 of those animals are euthanized. 5,609 of those are due to medical needs.
- Pure German Shepherds are the 3rd most common breed to enter the shelters behind the American Pit Bull/American Staffordshire Terrier and Chihuahua breeds.
- Animals with critical medical care needs (hit by cars with broken legs, mange/skin problems, upper respiratory, kennel cough, pneumonia, parvo and distemper) don't often get a chance to be made available to the public for adoption or are passed over by potential adopters due to the severity of their needs.
- The shelter system is not set up to provide this kind of detailed and long term critical care.
- Basic medical care for each healthy dog rescued is over $300 (spay/neuter, vaccination, preventative flea treatment and microchip) not including boarding, food and grooming.
- Coastal swoops in to save and provide medical care costing thousands of dollars so these dogs can be rehabilitated and cared for until they are ready for adoption.
How You Can Help:
With your help Coastal German Shepherd Rescue of Orange Coutny will be able to continue to provide medical care to these amazing dogs. Make a tax deductible donation today!
Please read below to see some of the types of cases they are able to help with your support.
This year, we are dedicating our OC Marathon fundraising efforts toward replenishing a very special fund -- the "Saving Gideon Fund."
History: In 2008, we rescued a dog named Gideon. We believe Gideon was hit by a car and then dragged. He was found in a park missing most of the skin on his left side -- one of the worst degloving injuries our vet had ever seen!
In Gideon's honor, we started the Saving Gideon Fund. This fund is used for seriously injured or ill dogs who need immediate medical care or will otherwise be euthanized. Oftentimes the decision to save a life depends upon how much money is in our bank account. It's very sad, but unfortunately the truth!
We are asking our supporters to help with this fund so that the next time we are asked to save a severely injured or ill dog we can say YES!
Other special-case dogs like Gideon who have been saved and now living in their forever homes include:
- Phoenix was found wandering the streets of Norwalk with his ears hacked off. We believe he'd been used as a bait dog. Despite his obvious abuse, Phoenix is the sweetest dog you could possibly meet.
- Champ was shot five times while protecting his home from an intruder. Despite his heroism, his 'owners' refused him medical attention. Champ was set to be euthanized at the shelter.
- Mac and his buddy Cosmo were struck on the freeway after flying out of the back of a pick-up truck. Both sustained broken bones and significant injuries.
We wish we could save them all from neglect, abuse, abandonment, starvation and just irresponsible ownership. We know we can't save them all -- but we can save MORE dogs like these deserving pups with your help! They don't deserve to die in shelters due to injury or illness.
We appreciate your support in our effort to raise medical funds through partnership with the OC Marathon!<form id="campaigns_form" method="post" name="campaigns_form" action="http://www.crowdrise.com/coastalgsrmarathon"> </form><p>