Community of Unity Inc via Crowdrise
November 10, 2010
BENEFITING: Community of Unity Inc
The YELC is a gender-specific in & after-school program where under served youth experience personal growth and identity development through the power of sharing with peers, building community and engaging in behaviors that lead to success in school and beyond.
• Over 95% of YELC participants graduate from high school on schedule and attend college.
• 100% of YELC graduates credit the YELC with helping them to graduate from high school.
The YELC programming focuses on personal and spiritual development and support:
• Structure: Our groups run both In and out of school. We believe that multiple touch points are the key to building healthy successful relationships and community. YELC mentors are available during the day to meet one-on-one with members of the group as well.
• Life Skills Methodology Our approach to working with youth is built around the exploration and development of seven essential Life Skills, or INSTRUMENTS (Self Awareness, Self Esteem, Sense of Humor, Empathy, Integrity, Responsibility, Focus), which when applied, allow youth to reach their full potential by “making good choices”, transforming their lives and in turn, the culture of their schools and communities.
• Health and Wellness We expose our students to guest mentors and field trips which teach students to live healthy and productive lives, providing access to counseling, medical, and psychological services.
• Academic and Life Support We help ensure that students can be college-bound by staying focused and prepared in their high school classes. While we recognize that not all students follow the same path, we serve as advocates and counselors as our students navigate their HS community and college application process, in addition to providing exposure to new opportunities and experiences.