BENEFITING: CHICAGO METROPOLITAN BATTERED WOMENS NETWORK
ORGANIZER: CHICAGO METROPOLITAN BATTERED WOMENS NETWORK
I recently joined the Board of Directors of a non-profit organization called, Chicago Metropolitan Battered Women’s Network (CMBWN). CMBWN is dedicated to improving the lives of those impacted by domestic violence. Details can be found on their website http://batteredwomensnetwork.org
Like most non-profit organizations, the requirements of Board members are to raise money and increase awareness. October happens to be Domestic Violence Awareness month, so here are some facts about domestic violence.
- Every 9 seconds a woman in the U.S. is beaten by her partner.
- 1 in 12 women will be stalked in their lifetime.
- 5 million children witness domestic violence each year in the US.
- Children who live in violent homes are up to 9 times more likely to be abused or injured, either directly or while trying to defend a parent or other caretaker.
- Children of domestic violence are 3 times more likely to repeat the cycle in adulthood.
- Those who grow up with domestic violence are 6 times more likely to commit suicide and 50% more likely to abuse drugs and alcohol.
All donations are tax-deductible, so please consider supporting this non-profit organization, either financially or by forwarding this link to others you know, so that more victims of domestic violence can get the help they need.
Feel free to contact me with any questions, and thanks in advance for making a difference in someone's life!