Michelle via Crowdrise
March 06, 2012
BENEFITING: CHOROIDEREMIA RESEARCH FOUNDATION
Choroideremia (CHM) is a rare inherited disorder that progressively causes blindness due to degeneration of the choroid and retina. It almost exclusively occurs in males. From the CHM website: "At this time, there is no treatment or cure for this disease. However, what we have is hope. In our short history, we have already seen incredible advances made in CHM research. Now, it is no longer a question of if a cure will be developed; it is a question of when! The Choroideremia Research Foundation, Inc. is dedicated to helping researchers find that cure or treatment. By donating to the Foundation, or by becoming an active member, you will help us accomplish our goal of restoring sight to CHMers worldwide!"
I started a charity project for 2012 called Creating Change: One Bloodsucker at a Time. With this project I am donating to as many charities as I can in tribute to my favorite vampire show stars. It is my way to say thank you to the stars who have given me so much.
One of my favorites from True Blood is Deborah Ann Woll who plays Jessica Hamby. One day when I was reading about her, I saw the story of her boyfriend EJ Scott. The article was about EJ trying to raise money and awareness for CHM, by running 12 marathons in 12 months. The more I read about him, his mission and CHM, the more I knew that I needed to help. I saw myself in EJ because I too am living without a cure for my own disease. I truly believe that even without a cure, there is always hope. This is why EJ runs to raise awareness and this is why I am here to help raise money for CHM.
"Cookies for a Cure" was inspired by my love of baking and activism. Before my illness became what it is now, I owned a cookie bakery. All the recipes were ones I created myself and my customers soon became addicted. I always teased that I knew my recipes so well that I could bake them with my eyes closed. When I read about EJ running blindfolded, I couldn't help but think about this little joke from my bakery days. I might even have to put my "joke" to the test and try a little blindfolded baking in honor of EJ's marathons.
So, now that you know a little background, let's move on to the fundraiser. This is an especially good FUNdraiser because you have the chance to win some really awesome stuff!
(2) Fangtasia Key Chains
(1) "L" Necklace inspired by Lafayette
(1) Merlotte's Shot Glass
(1) Fangtasia Shot Glass
(1) Welcome to Bon Temps Pint Glass
(1) VILF Pint Glass
(1) True Blood Hat (Donated by SimplyMoyer)
(1) True Blood Lunch Bag (Donated by SimplyMoyer)
(1) "She's Mine" T-shirt
(1) "Love Hurts" T-shirt
(1) Lou Pine's T-shirt
(2) Hendrick Boards Fight 4 Animals T-shirts
(1) "The Caller" DVD starring Stephen Moyer
(1) "Melancholia" DVD starring Alexander Skarsgard
(1) "The Piano" starring Anna Paquin
In addition to the above prizes, check out these AWESOME autographed items:
(7) True Blood Comic Prints (Signed & donated Joe Corroney)
(1) Stephen Moyer signed photo (Donated by SimplyMoyer)
(3) Deborah Ann Woll Photos (Signed & donated by DAW)
***Grand Prize Giveaway Prize: (1) Amazon Kindle Fire!***
Thank you to Deborah Ann Woll, Joe Corroney & Simply Moyer for your kind and generous donations! Here is a link to look at photos of the prizes: https://picasaweb.google.com/bffairy/CHMFundraiser?authuser=0&feat=directlink
1. Donation minimum is $10.00 (USD)
2. Donations of $25.00 (USD) or more receive (1) Cookie Gift Jar (Contains all the dry ingredients to make choc chip cookies, baking instructions and a CHM ribbon sticker) *US only*
3. All donations of $10.00 or more are eligible for the prize giveaway. Although I cannot ship the jars outside the US due to customs issues, I will ship internationally for all prize winners.
4. All monies donated on Crowdrise go directly to the charity. The prizes are being offered by me and Crowdrise has no affiliation with this contest nor do they share your personal information with me.
5. IMPORTANT!! To enter the contest for the giveaways, you must email me directly after making your donation! Please send a copy of your donation receipt along with your name and email address to Cookies4CureContest@gmail.com If you are picked as a winner, I will contact you via email to get your address.
6. If you donated $25.00 or more, along with sending the above requested information, you must also include your address in the initial email so the cookie jar can be shipped to you. Please note that all cookie jars will be packed and shipped to you by March 31, 2012.
7. I am committed to making sure that CHM receives as much money as possible from this fundraiser. As part of this commitment, I am personally funding all the money associated with this fundraiser for expenses such as supplies, shipping costs and all prizes except for those noted above as donated. This ensures my goal of maximizing the total donation to The Choroideremia Research Foundation. Thanks for your support! :)
"Invisible People" Music video is by Chris Pierce who is the fiancee of Tara Buck who plays Ginger on True Blood. I included it here because I was so inspired by the words and message. Thank you Chris & Tara!
(i) CrowdRise does not sponsor, endorse or administer the promotion; (ii) each participant or entrant in the promotion releases CrowdRise from any and all liability and (iii) all questions concerning the promotion must be directed to Cookies4CureContest@gmail.com - Please do not contact CrowdRise. This is stricly a charity fundraiser so there is no purchase required to be entered in the prize drawing. All winners are picked at random and notified as specified in the rules/terms.