Quest To Learn PTA via Crowdrise
November 25, 2011
BENEFITING: Quest To Learn PTA
Quest To Learn (Q2L) is an innovative New York City public middle/high school where students learn to view the world though its underlying, interdependent systems—physical, biological, environmental, political, technological, social, economic, etc. Q2L students learn that the knowledge systems of math, science, language, geography, history, etc. can empower them to decode the patterns, structure, and dynamics of our world’s complex systems so they can be analyzed, understood, influenced, and even designed.
At Q2L, learning is rigorous, participatory, and Regent standards-based. Students are given “missions” organized around big ideas and complex, multidisciplinary problems, which in order to solve, students must collaborate, think holistically, gather relevant information, make calculations, theories, hypotheses, and experiments, read and analyze texts, design models, simulations, codes, games and tools, and continuously provide feedback for review and revision of their work, etc. Students take on the identities of mathematicians, scientists, writers, historians, and designers as they connect ideas, information, and experiences.
Q2L’s Core Values:
1) Learning for Design, Innovation, and the Understanding of Complexity
2) “Systems Thinking”, “Design Thinking”, and Being an Agent of Change
3) Critical Thinking, Resourcefulness, Teamwork, and Empathy
4) Embracing the Teaching Power of Digital Technology, Smart Tools, and Game Design
5) Preparing for College (early college program with New School/Parsons), for a Career (internship program), and for Responsible Citizenship in a "Connected" World