BENEFITING: Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation, Inc.
EVENT DATE: Oct 20, 2011
Words and images matter. I know that LGBT representations and stories in the media can educate millions of people about our lives -- and is needed to build support for equality.
What is GLAAD doing for me?:
- Training gay and lesbian couples and allies how to speak out effectively in places where marriage equality is being debated - including New York, Maryland, Rhode Island, Oregon and California. GLAAD is sharing their stories of love and commitment with millions through the media and building support for our equality.
- Partnering with the NBA, Major League Baseball and World Wrestling Entertainment to combat homophobia in sports and training announcers, coaches and players to be LGBT inclusive.
- Speaking out when anti-gay voices are spotlighted in the media and spread misinformation about LGBT lives.
- Organizing a national anti-bullying PSA campaign and providing resource kits to schools across the country.
- Working with Facebook to combat anti-LGBT cyberbullying on the site.
I'm participating in the first annual GET AMPED! Dallas-Fort Worth 5K Run/Walk to raise critical funds for GLAAD’s work in holding media accountable for the words and images the present, empowering real people to share their stories, and helping local organizations communicate more effectively. As more people see these stories in news, entertainment and online media, they grow to respect and understand our community, paving the way for full equality.
My goal: Run or walk a 5K race and raise over $250 for GLAAD and its important work.
But I can’t do it without your help. Please help me achieve my goal so we can promote acceptance, increase understanding and advance equality.