Running a marathon has been on my "bucket list" since 1995. This will be my one and only marathon and I want to use the occasion to help raise money for the Alzheimer's Association. Here are some quick facts about Alzheimer's:
- 5.4 million Americans are living with Alzheimer's disease.
- One in eight older Americans has Alzheimer's disease.
- Alzheimer's disease is the sixth-leading cause of death in the United States and the only cause of death among the top 10 in the United States that cannot be prevented, cured or even slowed.
- More than 15 million Americans provide unpaid care valued at $210 billion for persons with Alzheimer's and other dementias.
- Payments for care are estimated to be $200 billion in the United States in 2012.
Alzheimer's has had a major impact on my life as well as the lives of my family members. I run for those that we have lost and for those that continue to battle today.
I would like to dedicate my run to MaryAnn Perkins and the entire Perkins Clan. You are always in my thoughts and prayers.
I also run in memory of Heidi's grandmothers, Gladys Mae Heinz & Claire Rita Lucas, and my grandfather, Joseph Harold Richard.