Riya Ortiz wrote -
Hello! I warmly invite you to the Damayan Holiday Party and Fundraiser on Saturday, December 10, 6-10 PM. The holiday party and fundraiser will be held at 1199SEIU United HealthCare Workers East, 310 43rd Street, 7th Floor, between 8th & 9th Aves. I also invite you to:
1) Become a Damayan Sustainer and donate a minimum of $12/month for one year, and receive a free entrance to the holiday party; or,
2) Make a suggested donation $40 or more for the holiday party.
Funds raised will support Damayan’s critical work in organizing and developing the leadership of low wage Filipino workers and build workers' power to fight labor abuses and exploitation especially in the light of the Trump administration. Please make your first monthly donation as a Sustainer or your one-time donation here.
You can also give your contribution at the door on Dec. 10 or send a check to Damayan at 406 W 40th Street, Third floor, New York, NY 10018. If you need more convincing, here are my Top 5 Reasons to Become a Damayan Sustainer:
1) Since its inception in 2012, Damayan has won more than $800,000.00 in stolen wages for low-wage Filipino migrant workers.
2) Since 2007, Damayan has won 27 trafficking visas for Filipino labor trafficking survivors, most of whom were domestic workers trafficked by foreign diplomats. We have reunited 16 families with 10 spouses and 33 children. We expect more workers to win trafficking visas and families to be reunited next year. Please check out Lheny Ramos’ testimonial. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_o-9DSJMJxeZNJhoof-gwOf0LYXHqsRdLjfEq88DM2Y/edit?usp=sharing
3) Damayan has developed a cutting edge case management model that currently serves 75 workers, most of whom have trafficking, fraud in labor contracting, and stolen wage cases. The workers receive legal services through Damayan’s partner agencies while being educated, organized and mobilized around issues that directly affect them.
4) Damayan’s monthly worker meetings now average 60-70 workers in attendance, mostly Filipino migrant workers.
5) Damayan is currently in the process of incubating the Damayan Workers Cooperative with 65 prospective worker-owners.
Serve the workers! Serve the people!