Damian and college
Organized by: Damian Espinoza
Meet Damian, a mexican student in his last year of high school with a dream and a very clear goal, becoming a biomedical engineer, be a researcher and develop new technologies in the field of medical sciences.
Maybe you’re wondering, Why should you support one of the thousands of students which each year try to get into college? The answer is simple, you will not support just a student, in a long term you would be helping not only one but hundreds, thousands, even millions of people. The kind of career he wants to study has the potential to benefit an important part of the population of Mexico and the world.
But, Why should you support Damian and no other biomedical engineering student? He, mainly, has had a major academic performance since elementary school, he is a committed youngster who fight for what he wants. Damian has been a national and state competitor in different knowledge contests in areas such as mathematics, physics and general knowledge:
- Outstanding score in the National Evaluation of Academic Achievements in Schools (ENLACE) 2008 so he managed to attend a national meeting at the residence of Los Pinos with former president Felipe Calderón Hinojosa along with most outstanding students in the country.
- Participant in mexican edition of famous TV show "Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader?" due his outstanding academic performance in 2010.
- Winner of Children's Knowledge Olympics (OCI) in sixth grade in 2011 so, along with the best 14 students of Baja California Sur as well as the best 1000 across the country, he attended a national meeting in Mexico City with the former secretary of public education Alonso Lujambio and the former president Felipe Calderon.
- State selected and participant in the 13th National Math Olympiad for Elementary and Middle School Students (ONMAPS) in Culiacan, Sinaloa, 2013.
- Winner of the first eliminatory of the State Math Olympiad for Elementary and Secondary Students 2014 along with the top 10 participants in its category.
- Winner of the Children's Knowledge Olympics in its middle school edition in 2014, first place in the state of Baja California Sur and one of the 50 best in the country.
- State selected and participant in the 28th Mexican Math Olympiad (OMM) Toluca, Mexico, 2014 in which he got an honorable mention.
- State selected and participant in the 29th Mexican Math Olympiad (OMM) Guadalajara, Jalisco, 2015.
- State selected to participate in the 26th Mexican Physics Olympiad (OMF) to be held in León, Guanajuato in November of 2016.
- State preselected for the 30th Mexican Math Olympiad (OMM) to be held in Acapulco, Guerrero in November of 2016.
Apart from these extracurricular achievements he has also had good academic results:
- First place in academic achievement in his generation in elementary education with a grade of 10 out of 10.
- Third place in his middle school class with a grade of 9.35 out of 10.
- One of the best grades of his high school generation with an approximately 9.8 out of 10 in the present.
If this has not convinced you please think about all the goals that you had, think about all your dreams, now think that all the people have the potential to fulfill their dreams just like yours, Damian is one of those persons, Damian has a dream, but this dream is threatened by an absurd reason, the lack of resources. Higher education in Mexico is not something you can easily pay, also there is an important lack of external support for young students like him.
Today, Damian is just a highschool student but with your support and help of many people, it can be a successful person, someone who lives their dreams, don’t take him away that illusion, make their hopes a reality. Damian currently lives in the city of La Paz, Baja California Sur, Mexico, where the Biomedical Engineering career is not taught, he wants the best education he can receive, he is searching a professional future and looking for a better society, so he wants to move to Monterrey, Nuevo Leon and get into one of the best universities in the country, the Monterrey Institute of Technology and Higher Education (ITESM) so it is essential for him to have all the possible resources.
All donations will be used strictly in school expenses, mainly in tuition, books and materials required.
Any donation, even small, will be of much help. Thanks for your donation, it’s really appreciated.