Support our mission by creating your own fundraiser.
The mission of Daraja Education Fund is to create sustainable educational models in struggling communities. Daraja Academy is its first project. Daraja Academy is a boarding secondary school (high school) in Kenya that provides a four-year scholarship for girls with high academic grades and excellent leadership abilities but no means to continue their education.
Daraja is an example of a sustainable school system in Kenya that the Daraja Education Fund wants to continue creating across East Africa.
To fully understand the magic of the school, check out this award-winning short film entitled “Girls of Daraja”: http://tinyurl.com/28rpyer
The academy believes change occurs in a developing country through the people themselves. Daraja Academy has been established to provide young Kenyan women the tools to create change and become the country’s future leaders.
In addition to a demanding academic curriculum, the school encourages:
• Women of Integrity, Strength and Hope (WISH) class: This class has been created to help our students understand their self-worth.
• Grassroots Girls Club: This club shows how to create grassroots change through applied knowledge.
• Tribal Diversity: In a country with a history of tribal violence, Daraja makes a point of accepting girls from various tribes in order to build bridges and break misconceptions
Social and Environmental Responsibility:
• Local Student Enrollment and Local Employment: The academy is surrounded by destitution and therefore makes a point of enrolling local students and hiring local workers.
• Permaculture Methods: Due to growing environmental issues such as deforestation and social issues such as malnutrition, the school is implementing and teaching sustainable methods to provide food and resources. Practices such as composting, bee keeping, agroforestry and organic gardening are being used.