Defeat the Label: Students Need a Hotline Now
EVENT DATE: May 04, 2012
DEADLINE TO GIVE: Jun 04, 2012
Dork. Weird. Nerd. Spoiled. Odd.
At some point in life, we've all felt the pain caused from social labeling. Labels create an imbalance of power and control in our schools, workplace and communities - often leading to bullying and the bystander effect.
- Every 7 minutes a child is bullied.
- 1 in 7 students is either a bully or a victim of bullying.
- Over 50% of all bullying incidents go unreported.
- Bullying intervention by adults is 4%, by peers is 11% and no intervention is 85%.
- 6 out of 10 American teens witness bullying at least once a day.
- 1 out of every 10 students drops out or changes schools because of repeated bullying.
- About 282,000 students are reportedly attached in high school in the U.S. each month.
- 71% of students report incidents of bullying as a problem at their school.
- 90% of 4th through 8th graders report being victims of bullying.
- An estimated 160,000 students miss school every day due to fear of attack or intimidation by other students.
- Nearly 1/3 of middle school students have been the object of sexual jokes, comments or gestures. Another 15% have been bullied or harassed because of their religion or race.
Enough is enough. It's time to Defeat the Label. Now is the time to stand up against bullying. Join us on Stand 4 Change Day and be part of this historic rallying point for the anti-bullying movement.
Imagine millions of students and teachers across North America "Stand 4 Change" to demonstrate their commitment to putting an end to bullying. On May 4, 2012 at 12:00 p.m. EST, that image will become a reality as we all stop, stand and let the world know that we will no longer tolerate bullying in our schools and our communities. Your participation in this continent-wide community action will show people across the globe that it is not only okay to stand up to bullying, it is the right thing to do. Together, we can improve the lives of millions of young people, and help to save lives in the process. Click here to visit the Stand 4 Change website.
We're working to promote an inclusive, judgment-free society, void of social labels and stereotypes. We're committed to building a society where all people are recognized not for their physical form, but for the superior, equal and worthy soul within.
The Defeat the Label website, our in-school programs and weekly missions are social advocacy tools to help you take a stand and put a stop to bullying in your environment. And, now our HOTLINE will be coming soon, too. We'll be here to listen so you can talk and text with a live person.