BENEFITING: Deworm the World
ORGANIZER: Evidence Action
EVENT DATE: Sep 07, 2012
Forum of Young Global Leaders wrote -
In one of the poorest regions of the world, Bihar, India, 1 out of 2 kids suffer from parasitic worms. But a simple pill can cure it. In fact, experts say it’s one of the best investments for global development.
When the pill isn’t taken, the parasitic worms result in:
- malnourishment and anemia
- impaired brain development and stunted growth
- abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea
Of course this leads to fewer school days and ultimately a much less productive life as adults.
When the pill is taken, everyone wins:
- increased school attendance by 15 days per year
- improved cognitive development (equal to half a year of schooling) for younger siblings
- reduced worm transmission throughout the community
- 20% higher wages as adults due to better lifetime health and education
600 million school-age kids are at high risk of parasitic worms worldwide. Deworm the World has reached 40 million kids in 27 countries over the past 4 years, including 17 million in 2011 in Bihar, India.
Join our success: please help us in Bihar, India, where the government and corporations have already guaranteed most of the funding.
All we need from you is a donation to cover $.02 per child.
With 17 million kids, a year of treatment will result in 1.25 million years of schooling for the kids of Bihar.
Our goal is $300,000 by August 31, 2012. Please join us and make a world of difference!
DONATE: a $100 donation transforms the lives of 5000 children.
FUNDRAISE: you can help make a lasting difference for millions of children.