Dignity: help Lisa to keep earning her own way
Organized by: David Aronin
Please Note: if you wish to donate using Paypal and have trouble doing so, you can donate directly via the PayPal site using Lisa's email address as the recipient: email@example.com - Thank you! David Aronin
Situation as of 16th of November 2014:
Since this campaign began Lisa's beloved service-dog - Nadja - has succumbed to cancer (30th of October), and - since not enough funds were avaiable consistently to pay her weekly rent - Lisa has had to enter a women's shelter. On the other hand, an agency in Savannah (US state of Georgia) has offered to pay her air-fare back to her home. Once there, it is much more likely that she will be able to obtain the medical and other help she needs to get back on her feet.
However, Many of the costs related to the trip back home will not or may not be covered by the funding agency - nor will any costs related to her stay in the shelter. But, she will not be able to be safe and intact now and during her trip unless these other costs can be covered. The costs are as follows:
- minutes on her cell phone for her trip and for a while after (she has been able to use a landline for most of her calling up till now)
- cost of a lock for the her locker at the shelter (the shelter charges 12 USD for this)
- storage costs for much of Lisa's possesions - including Nadja's ashes - which are being kept in a storage locker off-site - she is being charged 34 USD per month for that
- shipping fees for Nadja's ashes and other items which she may not be able to take on the bus to the ariport (ashes are not allowed on the Greyhound bus and the number of bags are limited), or on the flight itself
- cab fare to the bus station
- bus fare to the airport from where she will be leaving
- cab fare from the ariport to where she is going to the place where she will be staying in her home town
- emergency funds to cover unexpected circumstances which might happen along the way - e.g. missed connections, hiddern or changed fees, food/coffee for trip, etc
The funding goal of this campaign now reflects these needs. There is still an wongoing need for a working laptiop so that Lisa can earn a living when she gets home or even before then - Please see "Background" below - but we are now hoping to get that through an in-kind donation - Please consider that option if you can!.
Background - from original posting:
My dear friend Lisa is a graphic artist and writer/editor. Up till recently she has been able to earn her way as a free-lancer online, but, since her computer was severly damaged by a neighbour's negligence, doing that has become more and more difficult. She has serrous health issues and so working online from home has - till now - been an ideal way for her to be a productive and active citizen, and to keep her and her beloved service dog - Nadja - fed, housed and with access to medical care (Nadja has cancer and so access to medical care is a serious matter for her a well).
[Update - 30th of October 2014: Sweet. brave, beautiful Nadja had to be put to rest last night - Oct 30th. She and Lisa had been together for 14 years. Lisa is now without her service companion and best friend. Some of the money raised from this page will go so that Lisa can have Nadja's ashes.]
[Update - 6th of November 2014: unless more funds are received, Lisa is going to have to go into a shelter at the end of this week and stay there untill all preparations can be made for her trip back home (as per the funder, the money for her trip is not available for any other purpose).This is hard for her. Her health is poor and the conditions in the shelter are crowded, unsanitary and the food is like one might expect in a jail. And, many of those living in this shelter are indeed coming out of jail or prison. We are hoping that Nadja's ashes and other precious things can be shipped up to me for safe keeping - Note: we were able to put off her going to the shelter for about a week)]