Funds will Save Lives Alzheimer's-Dementia Patients
Organized by: Peggy Garrett
Life Events Interrupted The Fundraising Campaign
May 28, 2017
For 28 years I have worked with patients and families devastated by Alzheimer’s. On a scheduled visit to a husband and wife’s home I found a tiny woman clad only in a thin nightgown clutching a teddy bear on the highway. She was completely helpless and unable to communicate. I had a gut feeling that she was the wife of the husband who had phoned me. I was very lucky in that I was able to get her safely in my car. I drove to the house and the husband was not home. I phoned the police and we waited together. The husband was out searching for his bride who had left the home on more than one occasion when he slept from exhaustion of caring for someone 24 hours a day.
- In 2014, 46.2 million Americans were age 65 and older. Half of all older adults had less than $22,248 in annual income from all sources.
- Average Cost for a secure community with quality programing is $6500.00 monthly
- Average Cost for 24-hour care at home is $13, 440.00 monthly
To change this and allow families to afford care for their loved ones, our fund will be forever funded by a Job Board. Employers already place ads, this will put them to good use for others.
- 25% of each ad placed on our Job Board will go directly to the care of those with Alzheimer’s.
- 30% - job board for processing and managing all of the backend functions
- 30% - Advertising and Promotion
This fund raiser is to build and promote the job board ensuring care for future families.
Statistics from Alzheimer’s Association www.ALZ.org
- 5.1 Million Americans have Alzheimer’s
- 1 in 3 seniors dies with Alzheimer’s or another dementia related disease
- Every 66 seconds someone in the USA develops Alzheimer’s
- In 2015 18.1 billion hours of unpaid care was provided by a spouse or adult child
- Family caregivers spend more than $5,000 per year caring for their loved one with Alzheimer’s
- For some that means missing a vacation
- For others that means going hungry
In 2016 Alzheimer’s and other Dementias will cost the nation $236 Billion Dollars