BENEFITING: TADSAW INC
I came across this organization, TADSAW (Train a Dog Save a Warrior) and was moved and impressed by the work that they do. Not only rescuing dogs, often from kill shelters, but also training them to be service dogs for our veterans and active service men and women suffering from PTSD and other military related issues. Statistics are one thing but hearing these soldiers talk about how their dogs help them both in small and large ways is powerful. Anyone who has a dog knows how comforting they can be in your saddest days. Imagine if you're suffering from PTSD or other anxiety related illness as a result of serving your country. These dogs are often a lifeline to our veterans, helping them get back on their feet.
• Costs $2500 to train 1 dog
• Dogs are often found from shelters/kill shelters
• More than 2,000 service members were diagnosed w/brain injury from 2002-2012
• 2012 more suicides than combat deaths
• Costs $ 600 million to treat PTSD
• In one video a soldier was able to lower and remove medications he was taking after getting his dog. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_UaT5aBjME
The Mission of TADSAW (Train a Dog Save a Warrior) is to provide for the training of a Medical Alert Service dog, as designated by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) guidelines, for any wounded warrior, active duty or veteran, surviving with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), Military Sexual Trauma, (MST), and/or Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI), in order to restore and improve the warrior's quality of life with a canine 'Battle Buddy', at no charge to the warrior.