Gwendolyn Stewart via Crowdrise
January 30, 2012
The Dorchester FAMILY School Initiative (DFSI)'s mission is to remove barriers to learning; improve children’s physical, social and emotional wellness; and connect students and families to their schools and community.
DFSI is a multi-organizational partnership that connects three public elementary schools in Boston's Dorchester neighborhood with health and social service organizations, colleges, other enrichment groups, and parents. Our goals are to:
- Support before-school and after-school programming
- Coordinate social and emotional services within schools
- Expose children to positive youth development activities that will help them improve their health and wellness
- Provide enrichment activities that engage students in art, music, drama and sports
- Connect families with community programs and services
- Support teachers and the schools to strengthen math and reading skills
DFSI Schools and Community Partners work together to accomplish these goals:
- Oliver W. Holmes School is a K1-5 school of 282 students near Four Corners.
- Joseph Lee School is a K0-5 school of 340 students near Franklin Field.
- Lee Academy Pilot School is a K0-1 school located near Franklin Field.
- DotWell is the partnership of Codman Square Health Center and Dorchester House Multi-Service Center. DotWell is DFSI’s lead agency and provides key staff members- DotWell’s Tom Powers, Director of Wellness Integration, who coordinates services and activities between schools and community partners, and SCIDorchester Americorps team member Laura Santel, Coordinator of Community Linkages, who connects the school’s parents with community programs and other resources.
- FAMILY, Inc. (Fathers And Mothers Infants Infants eLders and Youth) is a non-profit organization that works as a community organizing system. By creating partnerships with individuals and institutions, FAMILY, Inc. connects educational, health care, economic, and other systems to collaboratively create healthy, safe, sustainable communities throughout the world.