BENEFITING: The Riseup Group Inc
A team of nonprofits, community leaders, and companies are collaborating to create a unique training, mentoring, and “real world” working center that addresses systemic issues under one roof with the League of Xtra-ordinary Youth Innovation Collaborative (LXY).
Our stated mission is: Break the cycle of urban poverty by engaging youth (12-24) by connecting creativity with work skills to inspire business success for lifelong financial self-sufficiency.
Students innovate thru:
1. A youth-run, business micro-enterprise
2. Studying and practicing Workforce Readiness Skills
3. Developing confidence and skills thru experiential learning
4. Generating revenue in our Centers of Excellence Center
- To provide art instruction and business mentorship with training in the market of art to inner-city teen artists
- To bridge economic, racial and social divisions by cultivating self-sufficiency through developing micro-enterprises that generate revenue and salaries for youth
- To provide an employment environment that sets high expectations and a strong commitment to helping teens reach their full potential Give inner-city teens a voice in finding their purpose
- To make a commitment to Hartford’s business and creative industries To provide a safe and meaningful place where teens are respected for their contributions
- Four flagship values will indoctrinate the LXY culture and will be a critical component of our success. These include:
1.) Acceptance and openness
2.) Self-directed exploration
3.) Spirit of collaboration
4.) High-performance standards
Revenue and youth development will occur in our 3 Centers of Excellence "CoX":
1.) Social Entrepreneurship – Youth will learn business skill basics to be an effective office assistant such as using spreadsheets/presentations effectively and graphic design editing for use in a business setting. In addition, the skills to set up and run a business will be part of this CoX and how to effectively run a retail establishment.
2.) Events & Entertainment – Youth will learn how to plan, organize and execute various events and in-house entertainment at the LXY. Contracting with corporations, nonprofits, small business and individuals, the youth will plan, host and rent event space for downtown activities such as dinners, networking events, health and wellness classes, and cultural entertainment. Events & Entertainment will be catered by partner local restaurants and culinary programs (ie. Bear’s BBQ or ThymeShare). Partner restaurants will be chosen based on their community commitment and involvement in workforce readiness and promoting entrepreneurship.
3.) Design Studio –Youth will learn from area industry experts to complete purposeful, real-life work a full-service art business, offering sculpture, painting , urban arts and media, silk-screening, mural painting, web design and event services.