I am so excited to be lacing up my sneakers next April in an effort to raise money for the Dream Big! Boston Marathon Team. I have always wanted to run a marathon and this will certainly be something I can check off the proverbial 'bucket list'. More importantly, I am truly honored to be running for such a great cause. Sports have undoubtedly shaped me into the woman I am today. I was so lucky to have all the opportunities that were given to me-- from dance classes to swim team, running camps, basketball leagues, and everything in between. I never had to think twice about having shoes to wear, fees to pay, or equipment to use. The work ethic and confidence developed in the gym and on the field have positively impacted my life in ways that are evident everyday. And once I walked off the track, the love and support from my family made it clear to me why these skills were so important. No young lady should ever miss out on that experience for any reason!
On April 20th, 2015 the Dream Big! Marathon Team, made up of 16 runners from around the world, will take to the start line of the Boston Marathon to help breakdown the economic barrier that prevents thousands of girls in low-income situations from participating in sports and physical activities. Dream Big! works to provide girls from low-income and homeless situations with equipment, uniforms, athletic footwear, program fees, training expenses, sports opportunities and the supplies they need to participate in sports and physical activities that contribute to their health, education and overall well-being.
Over the past four years Dream Big! has had a direct impact on more than 10,000 girls in need through equipment donations, program scholarships, sports clinics and the Dream Big! Leadership Conferences for middle and high school female athletes. For example:
- $35 will purchase a regulation soccer ball or basketball
- $50 will purchase a pair a new pair of sneakers or cleats
- $100 pays for an 8 week dance or fitness class for 1 girl
- $200 pays for a new bike and helmet
- $500 pays for a week long summer sports camp
- $1000 pays for new uniforms, equipment and training for an entire sports team
- $2500 pays for physical education equipment for one full year for hundreds of children in an elementary or middle school
- $10,000 pays for a new community based sports program for 100 female athletes
Please join my on this journey to challenge myself while raising money for an unbelievably great cause and consider donating NOW!