Family, Friends and Business Associates,
UPDATE: In late February, Dream Big! Marathon Team Member Tom Thimot took a bad fall while skiing and broke his pelvis, thus leaving him unable to run this year. Kim Sullivan, a dear friend of Tom's, will be training and running in his place to finish the wonderful journey he started as he rehabs for next years marathon.
Every day a girl in need steps on the playing field, court or track without the proper footwear, equipment, sprts attire or training. Imagine trying to run the Boston Marathon without the proper footwear or training. In April 2015 the Dream Big! Marathon Team, made up of 17 runners from around the world, will take to the start line of the Boston Marathon to help breakdown the economic barrier that prevents thousands of girls from participating in sports and physical activities because they don't have the money.
As a father of three daughters, Tom has seen the impact sports and dance can have on their development. As the mom of two children, Kim has also seen the amazing benefits sports has played in both her daughter and son's lives both on and off the playing field. We are fortunate that we can afford the fees, shoes, uniforms and other items required for them to participate. We want to run for Dream Big! as they work to not only level the playing field, but enable all girls to take the field.
Dream Big! works to provide girls from low-income and homeless situations with the equipment, uniforms, athletic footwear, program fees, training expenses, and the supplies they need to participate in sports, dance and physical activities that contribute to their health, education and overall well-being. Over the past five years Dream Big! has had a direct impact on more than 12,000 girls in need through their efforts.
Unfortunately, poverty can severely limit a young girl’s involvement in sports, dance and other physical activities. Dream Big! is working to breakdown the financial barrier that currently prevents girls from participating. There are many examples of the impact Dream Big! donations had from money raised in the 2014 Boston Marathon:
- Donating basketball sneakers and uniforms to teams in need
- Supporting a soccer team for girls suffering with trauma and abuse
- Providing volleyball nets and equipment to allow a high school volleyball team to have their first home game in two decades
- Dream Big! Program Scholarships sent girls to basketball and volleyball camps to improve their skills outside of school
- Providing dance lessons throughout the year to aspiring dancers
- 150 girls attended their first ever NBA basketball game
- Hundreds of girls attended Dream Big! Sports Clinics in partnership with local college sports teams
- The Dream Big! Leadership Conference brought together 220 female athletes from economically disadvantaged communities with former collegiate and Olympic female athletes, community and corporate leaders, to hear about the impact sports had on their lives and about the college and career opportunities available to them.
We encourage all of our family, friends and business contacts to help us earn the bib for the Boston Marathon with a donation to this amazing charity. Any amount is appreciated from $26.20 to $262.00 ($1 to $10 per mile). Payment is simple by clicking on the yellow "DONATE to this fundraiser" button on the right side of the screen.
Tom Thimot and Kimberly Sullivan