24 Days Until the Boston Marathon!
March 25, 2016
I am incredibly excited to be running my first marathon at the Boston Marathon as a part of the Dream Big! charity team this April! This is a cause that is close to home for me.
Growing up, I played a wide variety of sports; everything from volleyball, to gymnastics, to field hockey. Throughout my time with sports, I learned how to be a team player and developed confidence, determination, and leadership that has helped me well beyond the playing field.
When I was in high school, I played field hockey all four years. My team played against teams with years of practice compared to us. We didn't win a single game. But our practices were filled with intensity and our team was filled with determination. We worked together and lifted each other up when we were feeling down over a close game. The camaraderie we had and the sportsmanship we exhibited was unparalleled.
I wouldn't trade this experience for anything. While we weren't a winning team, I learned how to maintain a positive attitude despite the challenges we faced, how to work together as a team, and how to lead others. These are skills I wouldn't have learned in a classroom. And so much of this was thanks to my parent's support and the access I had to participate in sports.
However not every young girl is able to participate and have this type of experience.
Every day a girl in need steps on the playing field, court, or track without the proper footwear, equipment, sports attire, or training. Imagine trying to run the Boston Marathon with out any sneakers or proper training.
Dream Big! works to provide girls from low-income situations with the equipment, uniforms, athletic footwear, program fees, training expenses, and sports opportunities they need to participate in sports and physical activities that contribute to their health, education, and overall well-being.
Here are a few examples of the impact Dream Big! donations had this past year:
- Donated basketball sneakers and uniforms helped to support two girls basketball programs and a soccer team who use sports to help girls suffering with trauma and abuse
- A donation of a volleyball net and equipment allowed a high school volleyball team to have their first home game in two decades
- Dream Big! Program Scholarships sent girls to basketball and volleyball camp and other girls took dance lessons throughout the year
My goal is to raise $10,000 for Dream Big!
No donation is too small, and I truly appreciate any amount. Here are examples of what your donation can do:
- $35 will purchase a regulation soccer ball or basketball
- $50 will purchase a pair a new pair of sneakers or cleats
- $100 pays for an 8 week dance or fitness class for 1 girl
- $200 Pays for a new bike and helmet
- $500 pays for a week long summer sports camp
Donations of any amount will help support the mission of Dream Big! Thank you for considering to donate to this amazing cause and for supporting me through these 26.2 miles.
All the best,