Two years ago, I had major ankle surgery. While I was in physical therapy, I kept telling myself that I would be back to running by the time the snow melted. After the snowiest winter on record, I was in fact running again by the time the snow melted!
From there, I decided to dream big and start training for my first marathon ever. I am excited to be training and fundraising with the Dream Big! team for the 2017 Boston Marathon. As I overcome my personal obstacles, I will also be helping girls in low-income situations overcome their financial obstacles to participating in sports.
What does Dream Big! do?
Dream Big! works to provide girls from low-income situations with the with the equipment, uniforms, sports attire, athletic footwear, program fees, training expenses, sports opportunities and the supplies they need to participate in sports and physical activities that contribute to their health, education and overall well-being.
Why should I donate?
Unfortunately, poverty can severely limit a young girl’s involvement in sports. Dream Big! is working to breakdown the financial barrier that currently prevents girls from participating.
Here's what they have done in the past year-
- Dream Big! donated over $100,000 in new sports attire and athletic footwear to girls track, basketball, double dutch, volleyball and soccer athletes in urban communities
- A donation of a volleyball net and equipment allowed a high school volleyball team to add a girls volleyball program to their school
- Dream Big! Program Scholarships sent hundreds of student athletes to basketball college showcases, soccer and volleyball camps, dance classes and gymnastics lessons
- Hundreds of girls attended Dream Big! Sports Clinics in partnership with local college sports teams and the Dream Big! Leadership Conference brought together 220 female athletes from economically disadvantaged communities with former collegiate and Olympic female athletes, now community and corporate leaders, to hear about the impact sports had on their lives and about the college and career opportunities available to them.
What impact will my donation have?
No donation is too small! Every little bit makes a difference. Here are a few examples of what your gifts can provide-
- $35 –Will purchase a regulation soccer ball or basketball
- $50 will purchase a pair a new pair of sneakers or cleats
- $100 pays for an 8 week dance or fitness class for 1 girls
- $200 Pays for a new bike and helmet
- $500 pays for a week long summer sports camp
- $1000 pays for new uniforms, equipment and training for an entire sports team
I am SO excited to partner with Dream Big! for the 2017 Boston Marathon. Please consider donating and thanks in advance for your support!
To learn more about Dream Big! visit their website- www.dream-big.org