Dreaming Wakefulness Collective Scholarship & Bursary Fund
Organized by: Mahfam Malek
EVENT DATE Jul 17, 2016
Hi! We are The Dreaming Wakefulness Collective!
Founded in 2016, we are a collective of dreamers/writers/artists/healers/educators/organizers committed to embodied creative writing practice as a critical tool for strengthening generative political imagination, interdependence, play, and healing.
This July, we are offering our inaugural Embodied Creative Writing for Political Imagination and Healing Workshop in Oakland, CA, traditional Ohlone Territories!
This 3-day immersive workshop will bring together an intergenerational group of participants, 18 years and older, to explore embodied approaches to creative writing practice as a tool for healing and political transformation.
What’s behind the drive to do this work?
In the face of the unparalleled political, ecological, and cultural crises that we face both locally, and globally, we believe that there has never before been a greater need for art that:
- supports our individual and collective capacity to remain connected to ourselves and to each other
- provides witness for, and facilitates the tending of wounds that have been opened up as a result of these conditions
- emboldens us to reclaim our imaginations, which are often inundated by these conditions, for the construction of visionary futures
Through the Embodied Creative Writing for Political Imagination and Healing Workshop we aim to forge a space where just this kind of art practice and generation can flourish, in service of the critical movements for political transformation with which we are aligned.
As an extension of this vision we understand how vital it is that those who live, work, dream, organize, and create closest to sites of impact everyday participate in this workshop. We are prioritizing the participation of those who are local to Bay Area, and who identify as, BIPOC, LGBTQI2-S, disabled, chronically ill, crazy, neurodiverse, poor, and those organizing/working in the context of social, cultural, and environmental justice.
The actual cost of the workshop is $780.00/participant. As an unfunded project committed to accessibility tuition to participate is just $100.00 - $300.00 based on income level. Further, bursaries and scholarships will be provided to all selected applicants who express need. This is where you come in! We are looking to you, our friends, accomplices, and communities to support us now in the creation of a bursary and scholarship fund to help to cover the tuition and supplies for the 16 community-embedded artists and organizers who will be participating in the Embodied Creative Writing for Political Imagination and Healing Workshop.
This summer’s workshop is completely cost recovery, so each dollar you contribute will go directly to covering:
- Venue rental
- Print materials, art supplies, snacks and bus fare for participants
- And yes, our wages!
- $1 & up: Our undying love + a group photo
- $5: Shoutouts at the performance
- $10: A poorly photoshopped unique meme, created by Mahfam just for you
- $15: We’ll give you/your org/your project a social media shout out
- $25: A copy of UPROOT: Queer Voices on Migration, Immigration, Displacement, & Diaspora, curated by Mahfam OR A copy of TRANSGRESSION: things i’ve learned from my body, a hand printed poetry chapbook by mai
- $100 or more: 2 hours of creative writing mentorship with mia OR 2 hours of creative project coaching with Jasmine
- $300 or more: 90 minute energy healing session with mai