Every day, Dress for Success inspires and empowers women who otherwise would not have the resources or support to find a job and build a career. Whether it’s providing a job seeker with internet access and a résumé coach or helping a newly-employed mom navigate work-life balance, Dress for Success changes lives through its unique and proven programs for disadvantaged women.
It is our mission to promote the economic independence of disadvantaged women by providing professional attire, a network of support and the career development tools to help women thrive in work and life.
Since our inception in 1997, Dress for Success has grown into a thriving international organization that has supported more than 650,000 unemployed, low-income women at approximately 125 affiliates worldwide.
While Dress for Success may be best known for suiting women, employment retention programs are the cornerstone of the organization. By utilizing social capital bonding and bridging approaches, Dress for Success has had an opportunity to chip away at the unemployment rate plaguing the nation.
SUCCESS by the Numbers
- Dress for Success has suited over a half of a million women since our inception in 1997.
- Since 2009, the Going Places Network by Walmart (GPN) program has served nearly 4,500 chronically unemployed women and operates in 59 US cities.
- In 2012, 2322 women graduated from the Going Places Network and the cumulative job placement rate for these women is currently 72%
- 75% of Professional Women’s Group members have retained their jobs after one year.
- 42% of Professional Women’s Group members have furthered their education.
- In 2012, more than 30,000 women received one-on-one career guidance, acquired technology skills, and accelerated their job searches through our Career Center program.
Beyond career counseling, Dress for Success offers women Financial Literacy education and promotes a Health and Wellness initiative to underscore that being healthy and financially independent is essential to being able to work, take care of their families, and thrive.
We believe there are viable solutions to the jobs crisis and that Dress for Success plays an indelible role towards solving it. Though innovation, ingenuity and a laser focus on meaningful impact, Dress for Success continues to keep women Going Places. Going Strong.
We're up for the JobRaising Challenge and invite you to join us!
Photo credit: Mark Andrews