This year, for the 2012 NYC Marathon, Defeat the Label is thrilled to field our first official team in the New York City Marathon! Any support you can give our 'Defeat the Label Marathoners' by sponsoring their 26 mile run on behalf of the work of Defeat the Label is greatly appreciated. Meet our runners below and back your favorite one or you can contribute to the whole team just by clicking the "Donate" button to the right.
The money we raise will be used stand up against bullying. At some point in life, we've all felt the pain caused from social labeling. Labels create an imbalance of power and control in our schools, workplace and communities - often leading to bullying and the bystander effect.
- Every 7 minutes a child is bullied.
- 1 in 7 students is either a bully or a victim of bullying.
- Over 50% of all bullying incidents go unreported.
- Bullying intervention by adults is 4%, by peers is 11% and no intervention is 85%.
- 6 out of 10 American teens witness bullying at least once a day.
- 1 out of every 10 students drops out or changes schools because of repeated bullying.
- About 282,000 students are reportedly attached in high school in the U.S. each month.
- 71% of students report incidents of bullying as a problem at their school.
- 90% of 4th through 8th graders report being victims of bullying.
- An estimated 160,000 students miss school every day due to fear of attack or intimidation by other students.
- Suicide is the third leading cause of death amongst young people, and kids that are bulled are 50% more likely to consider taking their own life.
- Nearly 1/3 of middle school students have been the object of sexual jokes, comments or gestures. Another 15% have been bullied or harassed because of their religion or race.
Enough is enough. It's time to Defeat the Label. Now is the time to stand up against bullying. Join us as we run the New York City Marathon on November 4, 2012 and be part of this historic rallying point for the anti-bullying movement.
All donations are greatly appreciated.
Defeat the Label.