Team Farah via Crowdrise
August 10, 2012
BENEFITING: Defeat the Label
ORGANIZER: Defeat the Label
John and Jackie Farah of Ann Arbor, Michigan, first became acquainted with the Defeat the Label organization in October 2011 when the movie "Answer This" was premiered at a Red Carpet event in Royal Oak. Answer This! is written, directed and produced by John Farah's sons, Chris and Mike Farah.
The crowd of students at the movie event indicated how dedicated Defeat the Label is to spreading the anti-bullying movement. John and Jackie are running the NYC marathon to help support anti-bullying efforts throughout Michigan and the country.
As an accomplished marathon runner, completing over 120 marathons, John Farah has recently published a book, "Let's Pick It Up A Bit", a memoir and guide to running and maintaining a healthy lifestyle. The money we raise will be used stand up against bullying. At some point in life, we've all felt the pain caused from social labeling. Labels create an imbalance of power and control in our schools, workplace and communities - often leading to bullying and the bystander effect.
- Every 7 minutes a child is bullied.
- 1 in 7 students is either a bully or a victim of bullying.
- Over 50% of all bullying incidents go unreported.
- Bullying intervention by adults is 4%, by peers is 11% and no intervention is 85%.
- 6 out of 10 American teens witness bullying at least once a day.
- 1 out of every 10 students drops out or changes schools because of repeated bullying.
- About 282,000 students are reportedly attached in high school in the U.S. each month.
- 71% of students report incidents of bullying as a problem at their school.
- 90% of 4th through 8th graders report being victims of bullying.
- An estimated 160,000 students miss school every day due to fear of attack or intimidation by other students.