Food, Clothing, Caring
About Dutchess Outreach: The Dutchess Outreach mission is simple, but not easy. Each day an array of people somehow miraculously come together to provide support for the needy in our community. We strive to meet the basic needs of low-income people when no other resources are available to them and to assist them in becoming self-sufficient. We promote community awareness of hunger and other social problems and urge improvement in the response to human needs.
The Story: It's hard to believe, but we served over 220,000 meals last year through our Lunch Box, GIFTS program, and food pantry! The child poverty level here in Poughkeepsie and other nearby cities is over thirty percent. A random sampling of residents in 2012 projected one in four of all City of Poughkeepsie residents struggle to meet their nutritional needs. Our Beverly Closs Food Pantry has had a difficult time keeping up, from providing 75,000 meals to 102,000 meals annually in less than two years. We've even had to curtail our service to four days a week and need to raise $45,000 to return to full service. This is why we need your help!
Ways to Help:
- Host a food collection at your place of employment, civic group or church.
- Donate food from your pantry.
- Make a monetary donation and we will do the shopping for you!
- Donate to our CrowdRise campaign and help us win even more in cash prizes. First place gets $100,000! Imagine how many people we could feed with that prize!
- Create your own fundraiser for Dutchess Outreach during the CrowdRise Holiday Challenge to spread the word to your friends.