BENEFITING: RIPPLE EFFECT
EVENT DATE: Jan 31, 2017
TRE (The Ripple Effect, Inc.) has been working with Ixil people for since 2006 and understand the efforts required by both TRE and the Ixil people to create real lasting change.
As a result of this shared experience, TRE will select 100 Ixil families who have proven to be true partners in sustainable change. Families from the communities of Chel, Las Flores, and Xesalli will join TRE in forming a living example of the change that can come through aid , hard work and training.
This project will show the integrated results of our work with the Ixil peoples and be benchmark examples both to the Ixil people, TRE supporters and other charitable organizations working with indigenous peoples throughout the world. Over a two year period TRE wants to commit to seeing that each family has the following nine items at their home.
The 9-point program will be comprehensive and eco-friendly, including:
1. Clean water- both through a community water system and household water filters. We want to assure each family the access to clean potable water.
2. Productive and diverse family gardens
3..Clean house sites. Promoting the collection of garbage and general cleaning.
4. Training in nutrition and hygiene.
5. A source of light- solar panels, bottle lights or connection to the electrical grid, if practical.
6. A vented cook stove.
7. Corrals for the animals Living fences for the whole site.
8. Large laundry type sinks that is used for all washing needs.
9. Shared movable latrines, which are repositioned after 6 months. Fruit trees will then be donated and planted on the old sites.
TRE estimates the entire project will take 3-4 years, starting in 2017. We estimate, based upon our previous projects and budgets that it will cost $400 per family or a total of $40,000.
We invite you to be part of this exciting opportunity and share in the experience of creating sustainable change in the mountains of Guatemala. Due to the size of this project, we will offer our funding partners regular updates on the progress from our founder, Michael Ewens, and ground crew.