Skip to content
saramiller5's profile image - click for profile

Sara Miller's Fundraiser:

Raise the Spirits in Nursing Homes of Retired Nurses, Caregivers, Moms & Dads

Sara's Photo

BENEFITING:

Sara Miller

THE STORY:

Bring Fun and Life to 1.4 million Medicare/Medicaid Nursing Home Residents

Help me manufacture a card/trivia game that encourages people to communicate and connect with others in nursing homes.

I volunteered at a nursing home and watched disengaged people bump along waiting for their lives to end. They had been vibrant teachers, carpenters, house cleaners, entrepreneurs, mothers and fathers.

Most were mentally fine, but deteriorating due to lack of activity, interest and connection to others (Only 16% of Medicare/Medicaid nursing home residents have substantial dementia. The other 84% have physical challenges.)

Each of us would know at least two people in these facilities if we looked. Help me improve the lives of those who shaped us into who we are today.

When I created this card game specifically for Nursing Home Residents, it included questions based on their active years (1970 - 1990), open-ended questions such as “what did you do on your first date?”, and questions that informed them on topics pertinent to their lives (if you think you're having a heart attack or a stroke, should you take an aspirin?”  (no)).

This was tested in a 100+ bed nursing home, and the residents loved it.  People had been bumping along, not speaking, and appeared to be waiting to die - then they played this game.  They became animated, found others who shared similar experiences and interests, and enjoyed life more.

My goal is to give each of the 15,671 Medicare/Medicaid Nursing Homes one  free game for its residents to play.

I need $5,000 to do the following:

1. Create the questions
2. Have the cards designed
3. Create a website
4. Print 50 decks of cards and rules so I can show them to potential commercial and nonprofit sponsors
5. Have 16,000 decks, instructions, and boxes manufactured after I get the sponsors lined up
6. Have one deck(game) delivered to each Medicare/Medicaid nursing home before the winter holidays
7. Make many people in the nursing home happier and more connected to others

Personally, I helped design, develop and manufacture another trivia game so I understand the process, testing,  manufacturing, and distribution aspects. 

When this first run succeeds, I would like to offer a new deck/game to each nursing home on a monthly basis.

These people were our teachers, mentors and caregivers so now it's our turn to help them.

$0

MONEY RAISED
  •  
  •  
  •  

Fundraise for this Campaign

The Team: $0 TOTAL RAISED SO FAR

JOIN THE TEAM

Want to help Fundraise or Volunteer for this amazing Fundraiser? Join the Team

Donor Comments

Sara is working on selecting a charity so you can support Raise the Spirits in Nursing Homes of Retired Nurses, Caregivers, Moms & Dads.