BENEFITING: Alzheimer's Association
EVENT DATE: Mar 23, 2013
My mom, Sharon, is 61, has been diagnosed with a fatal disease and is in the fight of her life – but she doesn’t know it. My mother has Early-Onset Alzheimer’s, an epidemic that one in eight older American’s have, in which only 4% of those American’s with it are under the age of 65.
Barring the development of medical breakthroughs to slow or prevent the disease, one in every four older Americans will have the disease by 2050.
I’ve decided to run the Allstate Life Insurance New York Half Marathon on March 23 with the hope of raising $3,000 for Alzheimer’s Research. I’m raising money for awareness, for research, for my mother, and for you – because chances are you know someone suffering from Alzheimer’s, and if you don’t, now you do.
My mother may not know or understand that I’m doing this, and it is my goal for individuals in her place in the future to be able to.
We don’t currently have a cure, but we do have the potential to cure this if we can all come together and raise money for research. We have to find a way to manage Alzheimer’s and I believe it’s a battle that we can still win.
That’s why I’m asking for your help – please join me in this journey. Every dollar counts, and if you can’t donate money, donate your time, join my team, pass this along to your friends and family, and I invite you to run alongside me in March. Awareness is hope and memories are worth fighting for.
THE END OF ALZHEIMER'S STARTS WITH ME – AWARENESS IS HOPE
- 5.4 million Americans are living with Alzheimer's disease.
- One in eight older Americans has Alzheimer's disease.
- Alzheimer's is the sixth-leading cause of death in the US.
- Alzheimer’s is 100% fatal – it is the only cause of death among the top 10 that cannot be prevented, cured or even slowed.
- 5 times as many Americans with Alzheimer's than with HIV
- Cancer research is 12 times the level spent for Alzheimer's research.
- More people die in the US from Alzheimer’s each year than the most common types of cancer (breast and prostate) combined.