Rachel Mlinarchik wrote -
This August, I will once again join 13 other Capitol Movement dancers in partnership with Armed Forces Entertainment to perform for the men and women of our military who are stationed overseas. We aim to bring them a piece of home, a smile, and a laugh!
I need your help to continue our ongoing efforts to build better lives through dance. Your donation will empower us to hire choreographers, repair and buy new costumes, and train dancers that will repeat our military appreciation tour again in 2014. With a focus on low-income youth, we also provide free dance education programming through partnerships with DC public schools, ongoing performance opportunities, and scholarships for young dancers in need. To date, we have:
- Performed for American troops and their families in Greece, Spain, Portugal and Egypt
- Welcomed 5,000 DC public school students and 100 senior citizens to the Lincoln Theater, the Shakespeare Theatre, and the Lisner Auditorium to view the final dress rehearsal of our annual Capitol Movement Project for free.
- Introduced more than 3,000 children to dance through our free summer dance camps and long-term training programs in partnership with DC Public Schools.
- Provided 21 dancers with scholarships to study at elite training programs across the country
- Provided 100 dancers with scholarships to participate in our youth company CMI Kidz, Capitol Movement Studio classes, and the Capitol Movement Pre-Professional Company.
Tickets sales help, but it’s philanthropic support from individuals like you, foundations, and organizations like Armed Forces Entertainment that allow us to continue bringing much-needed access to the performing arts to low-income communities, and more recently to our troops. Please give as much as you can and know that every dollar has an impact.
Thank you so much all that you do to help us build better lives through dance!