Evan Butler Eagle Scout Project for Ronald McDonald House
Organized by: Gary Butler
Gary Butler via Crowdrise
September 22, 2014
Eagle is the highest rank attainable by a Boy Scout. There are many requirements a scout must complete in order to earn the rank of Eagle including earning badges, serving in leadership positions in his troop, community service and a substantial service project that demonstrates leadership and organizational skills.
The Ronald McDonald house provides a home away from home for families who have seriously ill children receiving treatment far from home. All the houses provide home cooked meals, private bedrooms and playrooms for children. My project is to re-do a conference room at the Orlando Ronald McDonald House. Currently the room is primarily used for storage and occasional meetings . RMH has asked for a multipurpose room that can still be used for meetings but will also serve as a recreation room for teens and adults. Right now, there isn’t much at the house for teens.
The re-do of the room will involve:
• Removing old wallpaper, skim coating and painting the walls and ceiling
• Electrical work in support of the new room functions
• Replacing existing lighting with a more contemporary and flexible lighting scheme
• Replacing the existing conference table with smaller tables that can be rearranged according to need
• A new video game system with downloadable games (this means that guests will not have to check out games from the staff)
• A computer work station with printer
• Board games and craft supplies for art journaling
• Flexible storage for RMH staff’s use